TR6 body mounting shims/pads

To: "Triumph List \(E-mail\)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 body mounting shims/pads
From: "Rob Christopher" <robc@cisco.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 17:46:46 -0500
Hi everyone,

I am trying to line up the door gaps on the body tub of my TR6.  I have a
new body mount kit enroute to me, but have received conflicting advise as to
how many and where to place shims to attempt to align the rear door gap.
The frame is completely refurbished and (to the best of my memory) straight
and matching the Bentley measurements for all frame dimensions.

I'll be double checking the frame measurements this week.

But as it stands, with no shims/rubber pads any where under the tub, the
front door gap is great, the bottom door gap is great, the rear door gap is
1" at the top and almost touching at the bottom.  If the rear end is lifted
off the frame a great deal (1.5 - 2") the rear door gap looks OK.  I know,
however, that having 1.5-2" of shims in between the frame rear legs and the
body tub is far too many.

I have been told to start the alignment process with three pads and two
steel shims at each of the four floor mounting areas, and go from there.
Can anyone confirm what is standard at these locations and how I can go
about getting the door gaps correct (short of cutting the frame and bending
the rear legs upwards?)

Rob in Ottawa