Re: Replacement engines

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Replacement engines
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 22:52:16 -0000
Hi Alun
I drove a Herald estate in my formative driving years, I am glad now that it
would corner faster than it would go. In later years I did find it a bit
lacking in performance and set about a few improvements, the main one was a
pair of twin carbs from a Spitfire or Dolomite 1500, these were used with
the original jetting and really improved the torque, and as we all know BHP
sells cars Torque wins races! The best side effect of this mod was improved
fuel consumption even with making use of the extra performance! I also
fitted a distributor from a Vitesse with the tacho drive, I replaced the six
cylinder lobe with the four cylinder lobe but left the weights and vacuum as
was. It made such a difference to the car that other Herald drivers would
ask what engine I had and often accused me of having a Vitesse engine then
when I showed them the four they would say it's a Spitfire lump, I often had
to show them the engine number in conjunction with the book to prove it was
a 1300 lump! I prefer the 1300 to the 1500 as the long stroke of the 1500
tends to make it more vulnerable to damage due to high rpms and crankshaft
resonance.
The 1300 also has a lighter crank due to the smaller bearings (large bearing
engines came in with the Toledo) and shorter stroke and is much quicker to
respond to the throttle. The next thing you could do to the engine is a cam
with a bit more radical bumps on it.
I think the brakes on the Herald are up to quite a bit more performance as
they are well able to stop the Herald Estate even when loaded to the
gunwales! They are nearly as big as the Vitesse!
I know this doesn't really answer your question of which motor to fit but it
does give you some easily achieved extra go for not a lot of outlay.

Graham.