Re: it's here !!! (TR7 info)

To: lstein6@earthlink.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: it's here !!! (TR7 info)
From: Bristol7@aol.com
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 10:55:46 EST
In a message dated 11/27/2002 4:29:31 PM Pacific Standard Time,
lstein6@earthlink.net writes:

> my 1980 tr7 was delivered by transport truck today.  i bought the car from
> tara on ebay and it is everything she represented it to be.  needless to
> say i
> am very excited about working on it.  any of you guys that have suggestions
> or
> tips, please send them my way.  here is the immediate repair list:  1.
> battery drains (some kind of short)  2. auto choke disconnected because it
> caused it to idle too high   3. oil light come off/on intermittently but
> oil
> level fine  i am going to put a land rover v8 engine in it.  anyone suggest
> good years for that engine ?  any years come with a turbo ?  thanks !
> larry,
> lstein6@earthlink.net

Congratulations on your new Triumph. Officially, you are now a
Wedgehead. You might want to start by subscribing to the
TR7/8 List. This list is not part of the Autox.net group run by
Mark B.  I believe you can find the subscription instructions at
the VTR site. A couple of other sites to investigate are as follows:

www.tr8.com
www.rpiv8.com

I believe RPI site has quite a bit of engine data, and the
TR8 site is exceptionally well done and chock full of stuff
about Wedges although its real focus is on the TR8 variant
of the Wedge.

You should be able to get the help you need by subscribing to the
TR7/8 List. One thing I would suggest is to be as specific as you
can when asking about or describing a problem. For example,
when you are describing a problem such as above with a
potential battery short, you might want to tell the List if the
battery is new or old; if the alternator is new; is your voltmeter
working,etc.,etc.  It might turn out you have only a slipping
alternator belt.

The oil light might be as simple a problem as a loose connection
at the switch; a bad $10.00 oil switch OR much worse.......no oil
pressure. I would not run the engine until you can determine the
cause of the problem. About all that the oil level on the dipstick is
going to tell you is how much oil is in the oil pan (sump).

You should find plenty of folks on TR7/8 List who have done
engine transplants who are willing to provide advice. I know
of a number of such Triumphs that have been turned into
Ferrari and Porsche killers. There was a series of articles
done by Practical Classics magazine (a U.K. publication)
several years back where they detailed a conversion in
series of editions. This might give you a general overview
of what is involved in a swap. Use a search engine to find
the magazines website to learn how to get this info.

Good Luck and have fun.

Best Regards,

Kirk Yonker
81 TR8 fi dhc
Seattle
(Still looking for that "perfect" Jensen Interceptor fhc)