RE: Hot Tank/De-rust TR3 Block

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Hot Tank/De-rust TR3 Block
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 10:32:35 -0800
>      It's starting to look like I'll be tearing down my TR3
> engine over the
> winter. It hasn't had major work on the lower engine since the 1970's.
>      How important is it to derust the water passages around the
> wet liners?
> Most TR blocks that I have seen are very scaled up in these areas. I was
> thinking of sending my block to a Redi-strip place in Vancouver
> to have all
> rust electrolically removed. The block would come back bare
> shiney metal with
> no metal loss. I would then use something like Eastwood's Glyptol
> or something
> to paint the exposed metal area inside the lower block.
>      Am I wasting my time? What do other listers do about this
> area when they
> tear down a wet liner engine?

Bill, IMO there's no need to "hot tank" the block.  With the liners out, all
the water passages in the block are readily accessible.  Plus, for whatever
reason, several people have had trouble with paint adhesion; and this is a
particularly unpleasant place to have that problem.

However, I agree it's a good idea to pull the liners out and clean out any
rust/scale that's present.  I used a wire brush in a die grinder for most of
mine, and touched up the places the die grinder wouldn't reach with a "steel
toothbrush".  You could even use Naval Jelly if you want, but IMO these
surfaces aren't all that critical.

Randall