Re: Ignition coil goes BOOM!!! Why? Summary.

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Ignition coil goes BOOM!!! Why? Summary.
From: "Paul Willoughby's Home" <paulwillou@socal.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 14:20:59 -0800
Thanks Randall, Michael, Nick and Bob.

A defective coil or the wrong coil may explain why it seems to run better
now.  However, I did get 27 MPG on my last trip to San Diego, so it wasn't
running/tuned all that poorly with the sport coil.

I like the idea of checking the point gap, too.  It can't hurt, although I'm
sure that many other cars have had that problem with their coil exploding.

Bad replacement parts seems to be pretty common.  I had to return non-Lucas
points, rotor and cap to one of the big three last year.  The rotor and cap
did not mate properly, throwing metal shavings all over the inside of the
distributer.  Shorted out the whole ignition system.

What ever was the cause, having oil sprayed all over the engine bay gave me
an opportunity to gunk up the engine and surrounding areas and give them a
good cleaning.