RE: Dean Florez (was Question About Smog Control in England)

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Dean Florez (was Question About Smog Control in England)
From: Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 14:08:17 -0800
>      We are grumbling about Dean Flores new state bill.

I can't help with the UK smog laws, although it's my understanding that they
are orders of magnitude more lax than California's requirements.

However, I'd like to publicly retract some nasty things I said earlier about
Sen Florez.

According to an article in Saturday's LA Times, Kern county (where Sen
Florez is from) has some of the worst air in California, even worse than LA.
In an interview, he talked about kids not being able to breathe and whatnot.
I know from recent experience that it's terrifying to watch your kid have an
asthma attack.
So, he has introduced several bills aimed at cleaning up the air,
especially putting limits on farmers who until now have been pretty much
free to dirty the air as they please (and are the majority of his
constituents).  We're
talking some major impact here, including the complete elimination of
"agricultural burning", which is going to cost those farmers a lot more than
a bi-annual smog inspection.

So, at the very least, SB708 is to show that he's not singling out just the
farmers.  And maybe, just maybe, he really believes that smog inspections of
older cars and trucks will make a difference.  I don't agree with him, but I
can see where he might think that.  I've seen a lot of 30-50 year old
pickups still being used in central CA ... and generally blowing visible
smoke, too.

Randall