RE: Dean Florez (was Question About Smog Control in England)

To: "'David Gunn'" <ccgunn1010@hotmail.com>, mandrews53@earthlink.net, vafred@erols.com, ryoung@navcomtech.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Dean Florez (was Question About Smog Control in England)
From: "Paige, Dean" <DPaige@ci.santa-rosa.ca.us>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 10:13:50 -0800
There will no longer BE Special Rules or Regulations for farmers... that's
the point... they have been exempted from clean air regulatons since the get
go. Only now are they falling under the regs that the rest of industry and
the public must follow. And...the biggest problem in the valley is
particulate matter. Been determined to be the cause of much of the
widespread respiratory problems reported there. Dust control or lack thereof
in field preparation and maintenance, and burning are the main contributors.
That along with totally (until now) unregulated diesel engines used for
farming, tractros, reapers, pumps etc etc has long made the valley  the
worst air pollution basins in the state in terms of air quality.

OUr LBC's represent an insignificant fraction of a fraction of the air
quality problems in the ag areas. You can lay air quality issues in these
areas directly at the feet of agriculture! Farmers have recieved special
treatment in the past in this regard. Whats happening is not new regulations
it's just regulations being applied uniformly throughout the public and
business sectors.

Dean
Environmental Compliance Officer
City of Santa Rosa