Re: Replacing Engine Mounts

To: Michael Godley <mgodley@tiac.net>
Subject: Re: Replacing Engine Mounts
From: Peter Fullam <pfullam@nycap.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 01:02:29 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
I replaced the engine mounts in my TR4 with the engine in the car, but
the gearbox was also in place. I removed the nuts from the mount studs
on one side, and loosened them on the other. I jacked up the engine on
the side with the nuts off until the mount was free to lift out. I
replaced the mount, lowered the engine and started the nuts on the
studs, then moved the jack over and repeated the process on the other
side. The nuts were all tightened after the weight of the engine was on
the new mounts. Leaving one mount attached while changing the other
keeps the mounting holes more or less in line. The gearbox also provides
stability, and I don't think I would try this without it installed. I
believe the only thing I disconnected was the upper radiator hose.

Cheers

Pete Fullam