RE: Using E-Z LOC inserts on Trailing arm studs.

To: "'Randall Young'" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Using E-Z LOC inserts on Trailing arm studs.
From: John & Patricia Donnelly <pdonnel1@san.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 20:51:21 -0700 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id h923oaF8015077
Sorry, but I disagree completely. Don't tamper with something just because you
think you can engineer something better, especially if it works already. If it
ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineering 101.

Regardless on whether you use ezlocs, helicoils, jb weld, whatever, the main
issue on the trailing arms is the soft aluminum. Precision machining and soft
aluminum don't mix, and when you throw the "build it fast cheap" philosophy on
it that Triumph did, you get some problems.

I liken these fixes to mounting something on drywall - different mounting
hardware gets you varying results, but eventually the drywall itself still
fails. But, if you didn't drill the hole in the first place you wouldn't have a
problem.

Fix the loose ones and leave the others alone.

John

> If I would like to add E-Z LOC inserts or Heli-Coils to my TR250
> trailing arm studs, is there a reason to do it now, during the frame
> off, while the trailing arms are out of the car or can I do it just as
> easily later while the trailing arms are still in the car?

If you're going to have them off anyway, and do the inserts anyway, might as
well do it now.  Saves work if something goes wrong.