Re: Tub Weight / was frame weight

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tub Weight / was frame weight
From: "J.C. Hassall" <jhassall@blacksburg.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 20:20:23 -0400
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
At 10:58 10/9/2003 -0400, Fred Thomas wrote:

> > Message text written by "Phil Ethier"
> > >I was at a TR4 lift.  We put the body, sans doors, onto the frame.
> > <
> >
> > Suggestion: never attempt to lift a TR body with the doors removed.  You
> > run a risk of folding the body in the middle.  The only thing stopping it
> > is the rockers and they are not rubust in the best of times and if they
>are
> > rusted there is no structural stiffenss there at all.  You can remove the
> > bonnet, boot lid and wings (hood trunk lid and fenders) but leave the
>doors
> > in place and latched.
> >
> > Just a friendly reminder.
> >
> > Dave

>Just a little more friendly advice to add to this, "NEVER" lift from the
>front or rear, only from the sides, leave the doors on as Dave has pointed
>out the accordian is a musical instrument not a T/R tub. "FT"

I didn't point out that I'd welded angle iron across the doors and one
across the cockpit.  I hated to do it, as the body guy, who will have to
squeeze inside, is, ah, not as slim as he used to be.  :-)  He agreed that
leaving the doors on was better than nothing at all, but preferred a welded
connection.  He had a previous tub crack when a door latch came
unhinged.  Since I'm no longer as slim, strong or good looking as I used to
be, I opted for pulling the doors - they're heavy, even after the rust bugs
have feasted well on 'em. :-\

--
Jim
jhassall@blacksburg.net