RE: leaks at bowl attachment on S.U. H6

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: leaks at bowl attachment on S.U. H6
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 13:53:56 -0700
> Last year, I changed the rubber grommets where the gas bowl attaches
> to the body of the H6 carb (2 grommets, above and below the bowl feed
> arm). Alas, it's leaking again. Well:
> - Is it to be expected (I did not remember it was that bad, but
> rubber quality is not imporving with time these days)?

Not sure where you are, but the stuff that passes for petrol/gasoline in the
US is a lot harder on seals than it used to be.  Hopefully the suppliers are
now making the seals from nitrile rubber, but it still seems to me that I
only get a few years before they leak again.

> - Is there a special trick to make them last long? It seems that it
> is really silly to have the off-set weight of the bowl being carried
> by the grommets.

For me, it seems to help to not tighten the bolt entirely home, but just
enough to stop the drip.

> - Would I be better off using the bolt system (Moss 370-080) than the
> stud system (Moss 372-190)?

I'm not certain about this, but since the early stud arrangement holds the
bowl further away from the carb body than the later bolt arrangement, it
seems to me that something else must be different as well.  But perhaps it's
just the fuel level measurement ?

> - Is there a source for uprated grommets for this application?

If anyone finds one, please let me know !  Every time mine leak (last time
just a few weeks ago), I think of trying to mold my own out of castable
polyurethane or something, but I haven't actually done it yet.

There does appear to be a reason for the soft mounting of the float bowl ...
I understand the racers have to add soft mounts to the HS6 to get consistent
fuel levels on the track.

Randall