Re: "Nokofs" for magnesium wheels

To: "'Nicholas Wolf'" <nwolf@u.washington.edu>
Subject: Re: "Nokofs" for magnesium wheels
From: "Ben Zwissler" <bzwissler1@insightbb.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 20:14:40 -0500
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Sorry that I can't help you on finding the nokoffs, but thought I'd pass on
a warning I got several years ago about 60s and 70s vintage magnesium
wheels.  Apparently several manufacturers (Cragar most famously) had a lot
of trouble with corrosion cracking of magnesium and went through lots of
costly recalls due to wheels separating from hubs.  I don't know anything
about the particular wheels you have but you might want to look for some
assurance they're safe before you use them at speed.  I don't know if the
NTSB recalls on the web go all the way back to the 60s but they might be a
place to look.

Except for true racers, magnesium has disappeared from street wheels in
favor of aluminum, although its trying to make a comeback for some other
parts in late model cars.

Ben Zwissler
bzwissler1@insightbb.com
Columbus, IN