Re: "Nokofs" for magnesium wheels

To: "Ben Zwissler" <bzwissler1@insightbb.com>, "'Nicholas Wolf'" <nwolf@u.washington.edu>
Subject: Re: "Nokofs" for magnesium wheels
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 23:39:51 -0500
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
> I don't know anything
> about the particular wheels you have but you might want to look for some
> assurance they're safe before you use them at speed.  I don't know if the
> NTSB recalls on the web go all the way back to the 60s but they might be a
> place to look.
>
> Except for true racers, magnesium has disappeared from street wheels in
> favor of aluminum, although its trying to make a comeback for some other
> parts in late model cars.

My JAP Magna wheels do a fine job of holding the crap tires my Europa came
with.  They hold the car up in the garage when I have sticky tires bagged on
the BWAs.

The Magnas are all cracked between the central hole and the bolt holes.

BTW, there are a set of Minilites on Ebay.  Look like Lotus/Spitfire wheels.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2439155001

Phil Ethier  West Side  Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
1970 Lotus Europa 65/2597, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1993 Suburban, 1962 TR4 CT2846L
pethier@isd.net  http://www.mnautox.com/  http://www.lotusowners.com