Re: "Nokofs" for magnesium wheels

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: "Nokofs" for magnesium wheels
From: Nicholas Wolf <nwolf@u.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 17:34:50 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: Nick Wolf <nwolf@u.washington.edu>
Hi again, listers
  This is a re-send; I tried submitting a similar message yesterday and it
bounced back.

  Regarding the many perils of magnesium: Thanks very much for your warnings.
If anyone would like to get rid of their magnesium wheels now, you can send
them to me for disposal.  :)

  Seriously, vintage magnesium wheels do tend to corrode and crack.  They
should be thoroughly checked periodically and retired as necessary.  Burning
magnesium is very scary - it cannot be extinguished with water.  Sand is a
better bet.
  However: In order for a wheel to burn, something else must have been burning
first, since the ignition temperature for magnesium is around 850 degrees F.
If your wheels are on fire, it's likely that the rest of the car is already a
raging inferno.  In this case you should probably exit the vehicle and watch
the fireworks from a safe distance - don't bother looking for sand OR water.

  In summary, there are indeed certain dangers associated with magnesium
wheels.  But we make our choices in life, and I choose to drive a car with
magnesium wheels, single-circuit brakes, dim taillights, no airbags, no
headrests, and no roof.

  Our other car is a Volvo.

  Now how about those Nokofs.  Any leads?

- Nick still in digest mode Wolf