Re: Concours level question RE: master cylinders

To: "Anthony Rhodes" <ARhodes@compuserve.com>, "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Concours level question RE: master cylinders
From: "Lou Metelko" <lmtr4a@ctlnet.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 09:40:14 -0500
> I have a TR4A (late 1966 production) which had black paint on the caps of
> the master cylinders.  It is possible that
> they had been painted by the owner at one time, but it seems

Tony:

According to the TRA Concours manual, both master cylinders for the 4 & 4A
were cast aluminum and were left natural.  A little past half way in the 4's
production run (CT25645) the cap was changed from a glossy black painted
steel version to a natural stamped aluminum.  The change was made because of
corrosion between the dissimilar metals.  I don't think that was a firm
change because I have seen more than one 4A with a glossy black painted
steel cap that was supposedly original.  In TRA Concours, both types of cap
is allowed for the 4A.

Lou Metelko
Auburn, Indiana