Re: Reliability (Was: Originality)

To: stilton@protoprod.com (Scott Tilton), herald1200@comcast.net, TR250Driver@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Reliability (Was: Originality)
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 09:47:32 -0400
In a message dated 10/22/2003 11:20:25 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
stilton@protoprod.com writes:

>  Give those Herald drivers some credit.
> Scott, Andy Mace and Ken Gano have made good use of them.
>
> I respect it . . . although I'd much rather have a Sport 6 I think.

Well, yes...and no, especially if one wants to open up the whole debate yet
again. No question that an original Sports 6 with the 1600cc six will be
smoother, torquier and generally a bit less stressed for highway driving. But
the diff. is still 4.11:1 like a Herald 1200, so no great improvement there.
And the handling is arguably less precise, thanks to having most of the extra
two cylinders of that heavy engine lump forward of the front axle line.

And then there's the front-end styling of a Sports 6/Vitesse 6, which seems to
cause more differences of opinion than Yankees v. Marlins.

That said, I'm looking forward to being able to fix up my recently acquired,
totally original Sports 6 and put it into my driving "mix"! And yeah, it will
stay "stock" down to the weird Solex carbs and 4.11 diff, although it *might*
get radial tires -- and just possibly a D-type overdrive conversion. :-)

But to those folks who have "updated" Sports 6s to 2L motor and drivetrain,
cool; no argument from me! To again quote the great philosopher Ron Isley:
"It's your thing...do what you wanna do...."

--Andy Mace