Re: harmonic balancer

To: ahwahnee@cybertrails.com
Subject: Re: harmonic balancer
From: "john matthews" <john__matthews@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 06:55:33 -0700 FILETIME=[7EBDDF30:01C39A36]
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hi Geo,

The harmonic point is much higher than 3200, more like 6800 rpms. Of course
if your car is original it's pretty unlikely that you will ever experience
such a problem. Since I've decided my TR 4 is a "touring car" not a racer
I'm not really worried about crankshaft failure, I just want to be able to
take it out on days when it's just too hot for the stock cooling system.
Also, I'm not convinced my original fan has any sort of balance left in it.

Cheers,

John Matthews
'61 Herald
'63 TR 4

> >Advantages are changing to a smaller "standard" fan belt, and reducing
>>or eliminating the harmonic vibration that happens at higher RPM's.

>Is there a particular RPM that gives tractor engines trouble?  I think I've
>heard 3200 RPM mentioned.  Is it just a matter of not driving for hours on
>that one spot?

>Geo Hahn
>59 TR3A
>64TR4
>Mt Lemmon, AZ

Concerned that messages may bounce because your Hotmail account has exceeded
its 2MB storage limit? Get Hotmail Extra Storage!