RE: TR250 Power

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR250 Power
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 08:57:33 -0700
> What would be the recommended way to get TR250 horsepower up to
> around 150,
> while staying with a carb setup ?

Hotter cam, more compression (premium gasoline), 3-carb intake (my
preference would be for 3 SU HS6, but I've never done it), and a good,
tubular exhaust.  I'd guess the tri-Y setup would work best on the street,
but again I've never done it.  There's lots more that can be done, but those
are the "bang for the buck" items (without picking up a die grinder).  Of
those 4, the 3-carb intake is probably the lowest bang for the buck, you
might want to wait until you've tried the other mods to swap out your
Strombergs.  If you keep the ZS, you'll need to change needles.  Someone
posted a needle to use recently, but I don't have the info handy.  I'd
probably add a MSD ignition too, just for better drivability.

> And, does anyone have experience with triple (or more) carb setup, ie are
> there manifolds out there,

Yes, lots of places have them (BFE, TSI, Moss UK, maybe even Moss US, etc.)

> would SU or Weber be the way to go,

That's a thorny topic, IMO SU's are better for the street.  The big
advantage to Webers is their infinite adjustability, that's also their
biggest downfall.  It takes a real wizard (and a lot of time and money) to
get them just right for your exact setup.  FWIW, I just checked, Kas Kastner
agrees with me in his latest book Triumph Preparation Handbook, which I
definitely recommend.  Not quite as "cookbook" as the earlier ones, so a
copy of both might be a good idea.

> can it be made reliable etc ?

Yup.

> Are there other upgrades that would be required, trans, drivetrain etc ?

The rest of the drivetrain was designed to go behind a 150 bhp engine (the
TR5), so should be no problem.  I'd want to double-check the diff mounts
tho, maybe even drop the diff to inspect, since it seems to be hard to know
when they're about to fail otherwise.

Randall