RE: TR250 Power

To: "'M. Secrest'" <vze34wdb@verizon.net>
Subject: RE: TR250 Power
From: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 15:51:07 -0700
Cc: "'Triumph List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
First, let me say that I always was under the impression that the TR6
Diff was much stronger (by necessity) than the Spitfire or GT6 diff.  I
can say from experience that my diff (3.63 GT6 with Quaife) has not had
any trouble at all handling 240 HP from the Honda S2000 engine I power
it with.  And this is with routinely revving the engine to 5000 rpm
before dumping the clutch.  Barry Schwartz has stated pretty much the
same reliability story with his Ford V6 powered Spit.  What we have in
common is the Quaife which seems to be pretty much "bullet-proof".  The
larger outrput shafts and pinion shaft of the late Spit and GT6 diff
adds to the strength of the unit.

Perhaps the key to the TR6 diff is to add a Quaife!

Regards,
Joe

I can vouch for this.  I blew out the pinion gear on my '72 last summer,
with
75k on the clock.

Yeah, it happened when I had the hammer down a little.  (Well, maybe a
lot.)
Don't reproduce this experiment at home.

Fortunately, I replaced the diff with a nice, low mileage '76 version.

--
Martin Secrest
72 TR6

Dave Massey wrote:

> Message text written by "Randall Young"
> >The rest of the drivetrain was designed to go behind a 150 bhp engine
(the
> TR5), so should be no problem.  I'd want to double-check the diff
mounts
> tho, maybe even drop the diff to inspect, since it seems to be hard to
know
> when they're about to fail otherwise.
> <
>
> There are those who maintain that the TR6 diff was a bit weak and my
> experience is consistant with this.  The teeth on the pinion are not
> adequately hardened and have a tendency to fracture.  I have a diff in
my
> garage with just this failure.  I suspect that the problem is spotty
as
> some differentails seem to go on forever.
>
> At any rate, RIchard Good has a listing in his latest catalog for an
> adapter kit to fit a (modified) Nissan differential (with limited
slip)
> into a TR6.  And he also offers used, modified diff's for sale.  The
whole
> shebang comes in at an attractive price which is a fraction of what
you
> would spend on a quaife.  So if you have concerns about your
differential
> you may consider this avenue.
>
> The transmissions from the later TR6's are the same ones used in the
Stag
> (so I've heard) which is a heavier car with a larger, more powerful
engine
> both of which will put more stress on a transmission and they hold up
well.