RE: TR4 Head

To: "triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR4 Head
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 10:12:34 -0700
> Is there a way to tell how much has been milled off a TR-4 head. I have
> several spares and the guy that gave then to me told me one of them was
> milled for racing but it turned out to be high a compression ratio for
> street use. I need to insure that  I don't use that one for my street car.
> Thanks for any advise as to what to look for in comparing the heads

If memory serves, the TR4 head was originally 3.330" from the cover gasket
surface to the head gasket surface.  Measure your heads with a caliper or
whatever (Enco has cheap 6" dial calipers for about $15), anything under
3.330" represents what's been milled off.

Of course, racing preparation also includes enlarging the combustion
chamber, so the only way to be certain is to measure combustion chamber
volume and compute CR from that.

Randall