speedometer gear in transmission

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: speedometer gear in transmission
From: "Alan Salvatore" <asalvato@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 15:39:43 -0400
Cc: "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
My speedometer  cable broke on the way to bowling green last month.
Since I was replacintg the cable I decided to put the service counter back
in for originality sake.
(don't ask why since nothing else is original)
The 15" cable supplied from the counter to the speedometer is probably  2''
too long and causes a  bend before it goes in the counter. binds me thinks.
Since I was feeling lazy I had a shop raise the car and install the lower
cable. I hooked every thing up and no movement..
So today I pulled the trans cover off and took off the lower cable, it was
all bound up and woundn't move.  I put a new cable on and still nothing ;I
then hooked another cable to it and went down the street to see if the cable
was turning. nothing.  So now I have a problem in the cable gear in the
trans.
Unfortunately replacing this is not addressed in my shop manuel or the
Haines book i have.
Anybody been there , done that.
Thanks
Al Salvatore