RE: TR6 vs Stag gearbox (was TR250 Power)

Subject: RE: TR6 vs Stag gearbox (was TR250 Power)
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 14:44:23 -0700
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
> The transmissions from the later TR6's are the same ones used in the Stag
> (so I've heard) which is a heavier car with a larger, more powerful engine
> both of which will put more stress on a transmission and they
> hold up well.

They share some parts, but the Stag box is not identical.  The input shaft
is very different, and the countershaft/layshaft has roller type thrust
bearings instead of the washers used in the TRs.  The housing is the same
casting, but is machined different for the thrust bearings.

It's my recollection that the TR6 and Stag diff gearsets will interchange
(although the housings are different).  Am I mistaken ?

Randall