RE: Dead short

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Dead short
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 14:39:27 -0700
> Can someone please tell me where the ground strap is supposed to be ( the
> one that goes from the body to the engine/tranny)

Bill, you need to always mention which car you are asking about in your
emails, as it's different on different cars; not everyone can remember what
you have (I'm terrible about that), and some people even have more than one
car.

On your TR3B, I'm pretty sure the strap goes on the LH motor mount.  One end
goes under the nut that holds the mount to the engine plate, the other end
goes under the forward one of the two bolts that holds the mount to the
frame.

Of course, anywhere will do.  I once pulled into a gas station, bought a
roll of 12 AWG wire (biggest they had) and made an impromptu ground strap
from the rear intake manifold bolt to the point where the battery strap
attached to the body.  Since 12 AWG is way too small, I just doubled it as
many times as I could to use the entire roll.  Turned out the ground strap
wasn't the problem (starter was internally shorted), but it did get me home.

Randall