RE: Hard starting TR3

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Hard starting TR3
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 18:38:14 -0700
> When I crank the engine by depressing the button on the soleniod,
> the engine turns freely and powerfully the way it should.   But
> when I put the key in and hit the starter button on the dash
> board, the engine barely turns over.  Eventually it will start
> but sometimes I wonder if it will.

I agree with Dave, sounds like advanced ignition.

> Also the connection from the battery to the soleniod gets so hot
> that it is impossible to touch.

Bad connection, possibly inside the insulation of the cable.  Try cranking
just briefly (so you don't burn yourself) and feeling for the hot spot.  If
it's the solenoid post itself, then the bad connection is likely between the
post and the terminal on the cable.  But if it's the body of the cable,
replace the cable.  I have seen solenoid contacts get hot, but usually the
body of the solenoid gets hot as well as the cable and post.

BTW, here's another application for your Whitworth crescent wrench ...

Randall