Re: How stuff works --> Differentials

To: TR6 list <6pack@autox.team.net>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: How stuff works --> Differentials
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 07:43:52 -0500
I learn a lot from that site too.

Maybe someone one the list can help... The site says that an "open"
differential supplies equal torque to both wheels, and if either starts
to slip, the torque on both goes to near zero, because the one that is
slipping will just spin faster. The only solution to this is a limited
slip differential.

Seems to me that in most cars there is a drive wheel and a non-drive
wheel. If the drive wheel slips, you have no torque at either wheel, but
if the non-drive wheel slips, you still have torque at the drive wheel.

What am I missing?

Don

Differential:
===============