re: TR4A steering room. was: New member, my story

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: re: TR4A steering room. was: New member, my story
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 18:23:34 EST
Welcome Chris,
And congrats on getting the TR4A back in your hands. Couple ideas come to
mind to get more thigh room:
Spitfire steering wheels are often mistaken as a TR4/4A steering wheels. They
are smaller in diameter; 1"-2" but aesthetically they're a near match
(Spitfire version is a slightly lighter weight construction and side spokes
enter
center of hub rather than alinging with top of hub). Shaft fits the same.
Surprizingly they cost more than TR4 wheels on eBay - about $35-$100 - few
times a
year. There are also aftermarket 'fat grip' steering wheels that are usually
quite a bit smaller in diameter and make up for their 'loss of leverage' with
fatter grips.
As you downsize in diameter you'll notice it is harder and harder to steer.
I tried a Spit wheel on my TR4 and noticed leverage change right away - I
prefer my steering to be stock factory TR4.
The steering column itself does move forward and backwards 2"-3" which may
help your cause.
I have thought of slightly raising my steering column - that would require
dash bracket re-work and careful nibbling up into my wood dash.
It's a pretty well known fact that 'thigh room' diminished with the upgraded
thicker TR4A seats versus the flatter TR4 seats (just ask anybody in your
office!).
In my TR4 I have pair of 60's Italian sportcar seats installed as low as
possible for the extra thigh room. The TR4 style dash brace also allows 2 extra
inches of sideways knee movement over the fancier TR4A version.
Bottomline: you could add a Spitfire wheel or smaller 'fat-grip' wheel, lower
your seat bracket holes if possible, pull steering column toward you 3", add
bracket shims to raise steering column up 1/4". Good luck!
ps; any pics on the net of your car?
Carl
'63 TR4 since '74

My question to the list (please bear with me, I'm a newbie) is, has anyone
fitted a smaller diameter steering wheel?  I think I need at least 2 -3 inches
less to get comfortable.