TR4A steering wheel, clutch pedal, gearshift boots

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4A steering wheel, clutch pedal, gearshift boots
From: "Chris Bohn" <cbohn@sidepipe.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 16:35:44 -0800
First, thanks to those who have welcomed me, and for the advice on a steering
wheel.  I happen to have a NOS Triumph "formula" wood wheel that was an option
on the TR4A.  I fitted it, it's 15" and gives me enough room.  I also switched
seats, since for some reason the passenger seat sat a lot lower.  Now I'm
comfortable, and having a blast driving the TR around town in the Indian
Summer weather we've been having here in the SF area.

One problem I do have is that the clutch pedal, where it connects to the
clutch master cylinder, has worn into an oval shape. The result is that the
pedal doesn't do anything for half of its travel, and clutch engagement is
down near the floorboard.  Anyone ever had this problem, and any ideas as to a
fix.  I've thought about having a shop weld the hole shut, then drill a new
hole. Wondering also if some kind of bushing would work.

Another question:  On the TR4A (and the 250 and 6, I think) there are two
rubber gearshift boots. A lower one and an upper one.  When I fit them, the
rubber on the upper one is tight and actually will pull the lever out of first
gear.  Any one else with that problem?  By the way, I recovered my shift
console with one of those kits from Moss.  Fits great...what a nice surprise!