Re: Wire Wheels (and knock off hammers)

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Wire Wheels (and knock off hammers)
From: Geo Hahn <ahwahnee@cybertrails.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 10:24:08 -0700
oliver wrote:

>my first set of new wire wheels are sitting, just barely unwrapped, on the
>garage floor....  What's the best way to keep them
>looking new?

Rewrap them and leave them on the garage floor or better yet in the
living room.

If you insist on actually driving with them then expect frequent
cleaning depending on road conditions, grease & oil seepage and how
fussy you are.  Selecting a brake pad with reduced dust is helpful
though it is the inevitable grease in the nooks and crannies that is
hardest to get clean.  Sealing the spokes from inside the hub with a
clear silicone sealant will help keep hub grease from migrating up the
spokes.

I prefer to clean them off the car using Simple Green and sometimes a
pressure washer (these are painted wires).  This is convenient for me as
I alternate between discs & wires.... the last thing before putting the
wires away is a thorough cleaning and regreasing the splines.

I have the spoke brush sold by Moss, et al but find it a bit big for a
thorough cleaning in the tight spots.  Old toothbrushes are an obvious
alternative.  Bamboo skewers are also good for many cleaning chores in
crevices.

Would also appreciate hearing any short cuts or techniques to do this
more easily.

Geo Hahn
59 TR3A
64 TR4