Re: TR2/TR3 seat foam, anyone?

To: Mark Gendron <mgendron@speakeasy.org>
Subject: Re: TR2/TR3 seat foam, anyone?
From: Steven Newell <steven@newellboys.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 09:46:49 -0700
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Mark Gendron wrote:

>Has anyone here tried building a foam seat cushion to replace
>the springs on a TR2 or TR3 seat? I'd be interested in hearing
>how it went, I'm considering this as a possibility for my TR2.

What a coincidence, Mark.  Last night on Home & Garden TV, Martha
Stewart featured a segment on rebuilding seat cushions for your vintage
roadster. If your Tivo didn't catch it, here are a few tips I jotted down:

- The most comfortable and durable seating will have coils. Cushions can
be made of Dacron-wrapped foam - the cheapest treatment -
feather-wrapped foam, or solid feathers. Martha prefers the feather/foam
combination for roadsters because it has ample softness but for hard
cornering it holds its shape better than an all-feather cushion and is
less expensive. She avoids horsehair filling because it is so hard, and
uses it only for authentic restorations.

- For a simple makeover, Martha suggests leaving all the old springs and
cushions on the seats and adding a piece of 1" thick high-density foam
cut to the shape of the seat. Add your upholstery over that. Some
purists would rather have the ragtag original cushions, if you decide to
sell the car later.

- Slipcovers have risen in popularity over the last 10 to 12 years. They
are easier to clean and cost 25 to 30 percent less than reupholstering.
Martha likes to use washable cotton fabrics for slipcovers and advises
washing the fabric before sewing to allow for shrinkage.

Steven Newell
Littleton, CO
'62 TR4, got Speed Channel after Pam was already hooked on HGTV and Bravo