RE: + or - (reliability, safety) (Long)

To: "Triumph" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: + or - (reliability, safety) (Long)
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 10:07:17 -0800
> As was already pointed out, it was good enough.  The theory is
> based on the
> fact that not all loads are always on.  They could be, I suppose, but
> typically they aren't.

Except perhaps for when one is driving to work in the snow <g>

> Exceeding the limit won't result in instantaneous destruction, it will
> cause more rapid brush wear and accelerated degredation of the insulating
> varnish on the windings.

All I can say is that you don't have to exceed it by very much, before a
rebuilt generator will only last a few months.  Thrown solder is another
symptom of overload.  BTDT

> I believe that the voltage coil incorporates
> a current
> coil and a heavy load will cause the regulator to regulate to a lower
> voltage so overloading the electrical system will cause the voltage to sag
> but the still keep up the demands of the system (within reason).

True enough.  In effect, the two-bobbin design means that the full current
capacity of the generator cannot be used to fully charge the battery, as the
voltage set point will sag under heavy current output.

> The system is less than optimal but good enough and about as
> inexpensive as
> they could manage.  Life is a series of compromises.

Especially when it comes to automotive engineering !  I do wonder tho, how
much more expensive the 3-bobbin regulator was ?  It was readily available,
and IMO Triumph well understood the difference.  My "6 cylinder Herald" uses
a 3-bobbin, while the Herald had the same 2-bobbin as the TR2-4.

Randall