Re: What to do w/ Old Fluif

To: "Chris & Kelly Sharp" <4sharps@cox.net>, "Triumphs Mail List Members" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "TR8 Mail List Members" <tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu>, "Spitfires Mail List Members" <spitfires@autox.team.net>, "Rover V8 Mail List Members" <buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: What to do w/ Old Fluif
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kai@radiohead.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 09:21:00 -0500
Chris Sharp wrote:

> OK, I drained the sump on my new-to-me TR8 and found it was a nasty >
mixture of old oil, sludge, and really old fuel.  Add to that a little
solvent I
> used to clean the pan and you've got a mixture only a chemist could
> love.
<SNIP>
>So, what methods can you recommend for disposing of this
> ecological nightmare?

See if your local municipality has a hazardous materials collection day.  My
local government hosts one in the Spring each year, only once a year though.
They take anything!  You do have to be honest with the labels though, but
they'll take it if it is in a reasonably secure container.

My normal oil / coolant (but not mixed) gets dropped off at designated
recyling places the remainder of the year.

Kai