Re: What to do w/ Old Fluif

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: What to do w/ Old Fluif
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 12:07:47 -0500
On 16 Dec 2003 at 7:05, Michael Hutchinson wrote:
> When I had my tire shop, we weren't too picky on the oil we took in.
> After all, it was free heat.

One of the Valvoline quick-oil-change shops here in town does this
too.  Ever since they told me about it I've wondered what it dumps
into the air.  I would think that used oil (or even fresh oil) has
heavy metals and other stuff besides fully-combustible hydrocarbons.
Of course, when you combust it in your engine you are also dumping it
into the air, but you generally combust only a fraction of the oil
you put into your car, and any sludge (heaven forbid!) generally gets
drained off at the next oil change.  Plus, you burn your quart or so
spread over a large area instead of all immediately upwind of your
neighbors.  I don't mean to be judgemental of M.H. here, just
curious.  Is this one of those things the flies under the
environmental (and EPA) radar because it is so uncommon?  Is it
really believed to be not a problem?

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller@pop.rcn.com