RE: Stiff A-arm Bracket - cause for alarm?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Stiff A-arm Bracket - cause for alarm?
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 12:12:21 -0800
> I'll just throw this out to the group to see what everyone thinks.  I am
> reassembling my front suspension on my TR4A, and I switched the lower
> fulcrum brackets from the single bolt to the dual bolt design.  Three of
> the four arms pivot nicely once they are installed in the brackets with
> poly bushings, but the fourth is somewhat tight, and once mounted on the
> car, it takes a some amount of pressure to move the arm assembly
> (obviously just the arms are attached - no spring, shock, etc).  It was
> stiff when I put it together (actually a couple of times, so see if it
> was the bracket that was causing the stiffness - same way on two
> different brackets).  I don't remember the arm being this stiff in its
> mount when I mounted or dismounted and disassembled the front end
> before.  My thought was that, since there's the steel sleeve in there,
> that once it's on the road, the poly bushing will wear a little bit,
> then it'll be fine - I can't imagine that any harm can come from this.

Personally, I'd get it right to begin with.  TRs are stiff-legged beasts to
begin with, and the last thing you want is extra stiffness at only one
corner (which will make the car bounce unevenly).  ISTR the TR2-3 factory
manual even mentions doing the trial installation and checking for any
stiffness.

Randall