TR250: corrosion in lower wishbone arms at Trunion end.

To: 6-Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR250: corrosion in lower wishbone arms at Trunion end.
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 15:57:56 -0500
I'm finally back to my TR250 project.

The bushing holes at the trunion end of the lower wishbone arms are
corroded pretty well. One arm so much so that the original plastic
bushings were worn to a taper.

I've been honing them out with a brake cylinder hone (slow going) and it
would appear that the new bushing will get a little sloppy before all
the rust is removed.

My options would be to buy new arms or simply stop honing when the new
bushings fit and let it go at that. The corrosion seems pretty solid.

FWIW, this is a frame off restoration with the intent to build a 3,000
mile per year sunny day car. May have trouble making 3,000 miles. Not
many sunny days in Binghamton NY :-)

What's the verdict? New arms?

Is there some better tool I could use for this kind of work other than a
brake cylinder hone -- it's really slow, and I think I've killed the
stones on this hone.

BTW, to whomever suggest removing the old rubber bushings with a gear
puller -- what a slick idea. Thanks

Don Malling