Metal cutting advice needed - non LBC

To: "INTERNET:pboldtrix@juno.com" <pboldtrix@juno.com>
Subject: Metal cutting advice needed - non LBC
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 19:09:00 -0500
Cc: mgs@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net hBO0IpGx022165
Message text written by INTERNET:pboldtrix@juno.com
>          I operate a self-service carwash and am getting ready to convert
my
2-motor vacuums to 3 motors.  This will involve cutting 6" diameter holes
in the top of each of 10 stainless steel vacuums.  Since I don't own a
nibbler and I don't believe they can be cut neatly enough with a torch
(which I don't have either), I had planned to cut the holes with my sabre
saw, using metal cutting (lots of) blades.
        My question...what would be the best blades?  I know regular blades
will
dull almost immediately on stainless (the vacuums are about 16-18 gauge
stainless), so they're out.  I can get bi-metal blades OR carbide grit
blades from Grainger, packs of five.   Which would be better?  Is there
another type more suitable?  Any other ideas for cutting the holes?   I'd
be working on a stable flat surface, which helps a lot, but stainless
steel can be a b***h!
<

Stainless is a b..b..b..difficlult material to cut.  I have dulled many a
sawblade trying to cut stainless.  The thing that kills saw blades is heat.
 It causes the saw teeth to loose their temper and get real dull real fast.
 If you go that route use a slow speed and lots of lubricant.  The
lubricant will do three things for you: reduce friction, cool the saw and
the work and clear away the chips.  Any kind of oil will work or you can
get a water based fluid from Grainger as well.

A Saws-All with some good blades will go faster but cost more.

Good luck

Dave