Re: running on

To: <ArchaeologyJames@aol.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: running on
From: "William Davies" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 18:24:15 -0000 hBOJQiom019789
From: <ArchaeologyJames@aol.com>

> I have a Triumph 2500S, It is pinking slightly on acceleration, and running
> on when I turn off the ignition.  I assume I need to retard the timing
> slightly, which way do I need to turn the vernier adjuster on the
>distributor, i'm
> away from home and without my manuals!!!!!

Hi James,
    There should be an A<---->R cast on the body of the distributor around the
vernier. Ignition advance will be a factor in the symptoms you describe, but
low octane fuel (or anything sold by BP in my experience) will give identical
symptoms. Badly adjusted valves can also have some bearing, as can any other
tuning adjustment,
    Cheers,
        Bill.

--