Re: master brake cylinder repair kit

To: "Terry" <terryrs@adelphia.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: master brake cylinder repair kit
From: "William Davies" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 18:29:28 -0000 hBOJVuom019914
From: Terry <terryrs@adelphia.net>

> There are two master cylinders for my '59 TR3A, one for the brake and one for
> the clutch.  Both take the identical repair kit, MOSS 583-080.
>
> But what did not come with the kit, and isn't shown as having a part number at
> all, is the first rubber ring that goes around the steel cup that rides the
> plunger.  It must exist to ensure a proper distance is kept between the steel
> cup and the inner cylinder wall of the master cylinder.

Hi Terry,
    As you've already found, the additional seal was deleted for later
production of what is essentially the same cylinder. The same thing happened
with the Herald cylinder. In this case, modern Girling rebuild kits omit the
additional seal, whereas the Girling India kit includes all seals. It is
possible that the same is true of the TR3A kit. According to my records the kit
number should be SP1967. Girling India rebuild kits are readily available in
the UK under the County brand name, sorry I don't have an SP1967 kit on the
shelf to check for you,
    Cheers,
        Bill.

--