hard warm starting

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: hard warm starting
From: "Rick Barnard" <rstirb2@townisp.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 14:57:19 -0500 tests=HTML_20_30,HTML_MESSAGE, USER_IN_WHITELIST autolearn=no version=2.60 ns5.townisp.com
Hi List,
    We've been enjoying unusually mild weather here in New England.  I've had
the TR6 out a couple of times since Christmas.
    I need some help with a weird problem, though.
    Symptoms:
    Very rough idle after a normal start of a warm engine, like if I park the
car and pop into a store for 15 minutes.  I can keep it going by stabbing at
the gas pedal, and then if I can get some open road and drive it, it smooths
out.  Sometimes, it's just hard to start warm.  Also, sometimes the normal
idle starts to deteriorate if I have to sit at a red light for a long time.
    I don't think it's flooding out or running too rich.  The spark plug color
looks fine.  I've got rebuilt ZS carbs with B1E needles.
    I suspect ignition.  Currently I am running a stock points and condenser
ignition after some bad luck with a Pertronix.  My distributor has at least
.010" shaft wobble.  In other words, my point gap can open that much if I push
on it.  Could that be a cause?

Thanks a Lot,

-Rick
1973 Triumph TR6 CF2570U