TR4-4a intake manifold casting question....

To: "Triumphs@Autox.team.net daily digest" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4-4a intake manifold casting question....
From: "Jeffrey J. Barteet" <barteet@barteet.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 13:07:50 -0800 (PST)
Hi, Folks,

With the conclusion of Christmas madness, I can now refocus on the TR task
at hand which is the fitment of HS6 carbs to my '62 TR4. The carbs I'm
fitting are actually from a Volvo Amazon (I think), and with the various
HS6 carb bits I have laying around, I have adapted them to the TR.

However, there is one little stickler left. The throttle shaft levers
fitted to Triumphs were different than the levers fitted on other HS6
applications primarily in their location of the throttle return spring
boss.

Where the original fitment Triumph levers extended to the rear of the
carb, most HS6 levers situated the return springs at the top of the carb.

So to get to the question at hand....

I'm thinking of hooking the return springs to the two little triangular
bosses on the cross tube of the later-type intake manifold. Given their
location, I wonder if this wasn't their original purpose. As it is, I
can't figure out WHAT they're there for.

Does anyone know?

TIA,

-jeffrey