RE: New Year's Day

To: "List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: New Year's Day
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 16:11:31 -0800
> But as
> someone also pointed out, brake fluif will boil before then!

Not necessarily, the fluif stays quite a bit cooler than the outer rim of
the drum.

> And anyway, we were talking about drums on a TR3, not modern disks.

TR3 drums can get plenty hot.  There is nothing wrong with them as brakes,
except perhaps that they are quite large compared to the weight and
horsepower of the car (and so don't get as hot for the same usage as
'modern' brakes do).

They certainly get hot enough to burn off ordinary paint, under just fairly
spirited street driving.

> Tolerance to high temps is one reason disks are so much better!

Disks actually can't be as hot at the braking surface as drums ... the
thermal coupling to the fluid is much closer and so the fluid will boil
before the discs get as hot as drums can.  The reason discs are better is
because the braking surface hangs out in the breeze and so is cooled better.

Dang, just realized I missed the club run this morning.  Oh well.
Randall