RE: OEM shift knobs

To: "'jonmac'" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>, "'Randall Young'" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Subject: RE: OEM shift knobs
From: "Jim Davis" <jdavis344@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 20:23:32 -0500
Cc: "'Triumph List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "6 List" <6pack@autox.team.net>
No US spec TR6s had the overdrive switch on the gearlever knob from the
factory. All US TR6s had the switch on the left side of the steering
column. All the rhd o/d cars I've ever seen (or have seen photos of) had
the switch on the steering column also.
All US spec TR6s had solid gearlevers, and I feel certain the rhd TR6s
did also as Rimmer shows only one lever offered. Early and late TR6
gearlevers had a slightly different mounting arrangement onto the
topcover, but that has no bearing on our discussion.

Jim Davis
Fortson, GA
CF38690UO

The introduction of overdrive switches in the gear lever itself was a
progressive introduction on all Triumphs from about 1968. It started
with the Mk 2 2000 and 2.5PI - and slowly spread. I think the TR saw it
from about 1972 onwards - at least, for the injected version. Don't see
why it shouldn't have applied to US spec cars as well. I don't know why
it took so long to effect the carryover on to TR because it shared the
same gearbox with the large saloons. The reasons for this change were
documented by me some months ago on either this list or 6 Pack. Don't
now remember which one as I don't have the copy. Jonmac