Re: Welders and Compressors

To: Gbouff1@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Welders and Compressors
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2004 11:32:43 -0600
At 11:11 AM 1/4/04 -0500, Gbouff1@aol.com wrote:
>I initially purchased a $239.00 Sears oil-less,direct drive, 20 gallon,
>compresser that was around 3.5-4HP.  Two problems with this comprsser is
>that I
>quickly ran out of air when using an air sander or die grinder, but it was
>fine
>for short use of impact tools and such.

I have a 5 hp compressor, relatively new, and it won't sustain the demand
from any rotary sanding tool. Puzzled, I finally determined that the
sanding tools generally require about 12 cfm @ 90 psi -- but the
compressors generally put out 12 cfm @ 80 psi. I'm really disappointed that
the measly 10 psi difference won't run the sander. It will run straight
line sanders quite nicely, though. I'd appreciate input on any rotary
sanders (commonly called DA's) that anyone has that will operate on less
than 90 psi.

uncle jack