Re: Welders and Compressors

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Welders and Compressors
From: ZinkZ10C@aol.com
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 21:15:17 EST
In a message dated 1/4/04 11:14:02 AM Eastern Standard Time, Gbouff1@aol.com
writes:

<< At some point in time I would like to purchase an acetylene torch.  Does
 anyone have a recomendation on an economical system that would only be used
 occasionally?

 Gary Bouffard
 59 TR3A (restored)
 59 Bugeye (aka garage clutter) >>

What do you plan to use the torch for?  I've been using oxy propane for years
with good results for heating bolts, cutting and brazing.  Steel welding
won't work too well with propane but with a MIG, that capability isn't needed.

Propane offers a larger softer flame ( slightly cooler ) making brazing easy,
lately for small jobs I just use the cutting torch, the super hot pinpoint
flame of acetylene is harder to use for brazing.  Also a propane refill is less
expensive that acetylene.  A 20 LB propane tank usually lasts through 4 oxygen
tanks ( the large ones).

Flea markets are usually a good place for used torches and such, just be sure
the torch you buy isn't obselete so tips are still availible.   Most cutting
torches ( 1 piece type) only need a tip change fpr popane, welding torches
don't need special tips, just use a size or larger.

Harold