Re: Build Year or Sale/Title Year?

To: <ZoboHerald@aol.com>, <MotoPsyche@aol.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Build Year or Sale/Title Year?
From: "Kinderlehrer" <kinderlehrer@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 09:22:22 -0800
> > I've just started paying attention to the likelihood that my TR3A
(TS67947L)
> > was manufactured in 1960, even though it is currently titled as a 1961.
I'm
> > curious to know if most folks refer to their cars by the build year or
the
> > sale/title year, especially after confirming the build date.
>

> FWIW, information I have shows that the first TR3A manufactured in
CALENDAR YEAR 1960 (January 1 or 2?) is TS65124. As an additional reference
point, TS71909L was manufactured on March 28, 1960, and TS73624L was
manufactured on April 15, 1960. So your TS67947L probably was built in late
January or early February 1960. So, in that sense, it definitely is a "1960"
Triumph.

Which would mean that my TR3A TS57201L which is registered as '61 was
actually built in '59 sometime. (I really should spring for the build
certificate). That could be like a 2 year difference, makes one wonder what
the car was doing all that time - I guess it could have been a dealer demo
or salesman's car.  How I refer to it depends on why I'm asked.  After the
hassle with the carpets when TRF assumed that a '61 HAD to be the later body
stampings, if I'm ordering parts, it's a '59 - OK, I've actulally memorized
the serial number now.   If it's the curious trying to make conversation, I
simply say "it's regestered as a '61 but I have reason to believe that it
was actually built in '59" - well it DOES make conversation, ...and it adds
a litttle mystery, like "Wow - it;s so old no one actually knows from whence
it came". :-)

I'll go back to sleep now.....
Bob