Re: TR3a seat rebuilding

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR3a seat rebuilding
From: Geo Hahn <ahwahnee@cybertrails.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 09:11:21 -0700
a Wallace wrote:

>Anybody know if TRF has the springs available yet?

Years ago I made some springs out of wire and by trial and error got
them tempered to a reasonable springiness.  Then twirled them into the
area where a broken spring had been removed.  Not sure I ever got the
exact pattern intended for inter-lacing them -- but it worked okay.

>And, around the bottom where the seat cushion meets the seat back, there
>used to be (all rotted away now) PLYWOOD to which much of the vinyl was
>tacked.

I do not recall any plywood in there -- think the vinyl was just
attached all around to the heavy wire lower edge of the spring set using
those 'nose-rings' that they make for upholstery.

FWIW -- more recently I have gone with seat bottoms of built up foam and
they ride well and sit higher than my tired old springs.

Geo Hahn
59 TR3A
Mt Lemmon, AZ