TR3 engine & timing

Subject: TR3 engine & timing
From: "TERJE KOLBEINSEN" <terje_kolbeinsen@bluezone.no>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2004 17:57:12 +0100
Hi List

I am in the process of assembly my TR3 engine and to ensure that I have got
the timing correct I approch this superb list:-)

I have installed a new camshaft and camshaft chain wheel, which means that I
do not have the dots and scribe line on the new chain wheel.

This is what I have done, so far:

1. Turned crank to get cylinder #1 to TDC
2. Then turned the camshaft to get inlet valve tappet to TDC (the second one
from the front of engine)
3. Installed the timing chain

This is as far as I understand the explanation to Roger Williams in "How to
restore..", but the picture in the workshop manual started to puzzle me.
Here, the view of the bolt holes does not appear as on my engine.  I hope
there is a good explanation why not?

The distributor gear seems to be correct, when cylinder #1 is at TDC of
compression stage though.

Should I have accounted for the 15 deg. before TDC before installing the
timing chain?

Regards
Terje Kolbeinsen