RE: TR3 engine & timing

Subject: RE: TR3 engine & timing
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2004 10:06:22 -0800
> 1. Turned crank to get cylinder #1 to TDC
> 2. Then turned the camshaft to get inlet valve tappet to TDC (the
> second one from the front of engine)

Terje, I'm not sure what you mean by the tappet being at TDC ... but this is
almost certainly wrong.  With #1 at TDC between the compression/power stroke
(ie ready to fire), both valves on #1 should be fully closed.  The valves on
#4 should be opening/closing such that they are both at the same lift (for a
stock cam), and this is how the factory manual says to set the valve timing.

> The distributor gear seems to be correct, when cylinder #1 is at TDC of
> compression stage though.

Get the valve timing right first, double check it, then worry about the
distributor.

> Should I have accounted for the 15 deg. before TDC before installing the
> timing chain?

I assume you're referring to the cam timing spec ... the point where the
inlet valve opens before the intake stroke.  Since it's more difficult to
measure, I (and the factory book) feel it's better to set everything at TDC.

HTH
Randall