RE: Query - 'Lucas' related - non LBC

To: "'Jim Altman'" <jaltman@altlaw.com>, "'jonmac'" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>, "'Triumph List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Query - 'Lucas' related - non LBC
From: Mark Hooper <mhooper@pix-cinema.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2004 16:02:59 -0500
Hi John:

If true it's pretty sad considering that one of the popular kid+teen shows
on the weekend on both sides of the ocean is "Robot wars" hosted by the
British co-star of Red Dwarf the space sci-fi series. The robot show has
masses of home-built robots battling for supremacy in one on one combat. A
common attack is to flip the opposing robot on its back. Any robot that
can't right itself after being flipped is doomed.

I imagine that the builders of the Beagle approached the problem with an
academic and scientific mindset rather than a "it doesn't matter if it can
support 15 experiments instead of 12 if the thing dies 10 minutes after
activation" attitude. I have seen this many many times as I
evaluated/oversaw university R&D projects versus industry projects. I wonder
if that's what happened to the poor Beagle.

It reminds me of a show I saw where a team of American air force pilots got
to go to Russia and fly some MIGs. They arrive over there and couldn't
believe the difference in conditions. Back in the west, runways were
spotless and every morning a line of guys would sweep the terrain on foot
making sure that no small objects were around to get sucked into the engines
of the jets. In Russia there was grass was up to a metre tall in patches on
the runway with bits of litter blowing around. They had compensated by
putting air intakes on top of the wings for when the jet was on the ground.
The designers simply noted that war zones were dirty places and that
warplanes that couldn't deal with a bit of litter weren't going to last long
anyway.

Perhaps the makers of the Beagle should have spent more time watching TV.
:^)

Mark