RE: Battery Box Replacement

To: <MJSUKEY@cs.com>, <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Battery Box Replacement
From: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 10:58:34 -0700
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-triumphs@autox.team.net
[mailto:owner-triumphs@autox.team.net] On Behalf Of MJSUKEY@cs.com
Sent: Monday, February 02, 2004 10:35 AM
To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Battery Box Replacement

I have a GT6 that the DPO has done a patial resto on.  He did a nice job
on the body work and it has a beautifull paint job.  The problem is he
should have replace the battery tray when he did the body work and prior
to painting but chose not to.  I really do not want to screw up all that
nice paint on the fire all to replace the full box.  I am thinking about
cutting the lower half of the box in the car out, doing the same with
the new box, and then mig welding the bottom portion of the new box onto
the top portion of the box remaining in the car. Any opinions or tips?

Thanks,
Marty

That is precisely what I would recommend.  Cut away the bottom of the
old box and the bottom part of the new replacement box with a little
extra for overlap and weld it into place.  The weld will be below the
visible part of the box when the battery is installed and can be painted
with a rust inhibitor like POR15 to deter any potential future damage.

Joe