Re: Seattle area sandblasting

To: jimbar@centurytel.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Seattle area sandblasting
From: ZinkZ10C@aol.com
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 21:12:56 EST
I don't have any specific locations as I am not in that part of the USA.

If you use a marble monument company, find out what grit and pressure they
will use.  The grit and pressure used for etching marble is pretty coarse and
high.  I had some trailer wheels done and the surface was very rough when
finished.  Since I was painting the wheels with Rustolem and a brush I was not
worried.  ( Black centers and silver rim bands still looks good after 10 years)

Also be aware sandblasting will not remove all traces of rust and some lines
of rust will come back pretty rapidly.  In most cases the rust will not come
back under the paint any time soon.

Be specific what areas need blasted clean and what areas just need the loose
stuff blasted off.  The bead area needs to be clean but the area in the middle
isn't critical.  The front of the wheel needs to be clean but the backside
just needs a wash.  This can save lots of time and $ hitting the areas that
need
done.

If you just need paint removed, a automotive machine shop could dip the parts
in a hot tank ( Oakite).  I haven't used this method but it should work.

Harold